Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Myth Of American Exceptionalism
Originally posted 5/24/06
_heather:
Six! (And ditto on redbrat's comments, which I snipped for brevity.)

Here's the grand irony about Neil. If you look at his background, he's everything that should have become a Republican. In his 40s. Computer-ish sort making a decent income. Working-class family background. From the southeast. Has ties to a farming community. Was in the military for fifteen years. Dude, Neil is the Republican demographic.

But somewhere they lost him.

You know where? I read the actual Constitution. I read the actual Declaration of Independence. I wanted my life to count for something. I decided that if I was going to go around the world shooting at people, I wanted to shoot at the right bunch of people. I believed that there is a right and a wrong. And I'm pretty clear on which is which, unlike some others here.

For any decent human being, it takes only one exposure to the ugliness of being wrong to see the end results. Kill one wrong person, for whatever reason, and it'll haunt you for the rest of your life. Or so I'm told. I like my sleep, thankyouveryfuckingmuch. I've lived with those who had no ability to discriminate morally. I'm not comfortable with them. You always know in the back of your mind that you'll have to take them down at some point or you won't be able to live with yourself.

Against my will, I seem to have been born with some rudimentary conscience. At least in the larger, political scheme of things. Make no mistake. I still enjoy what I enjoy in terms of kink, but my kink partners are consensual. Few of us are consensually being fucked politically.

I'm no preacher, but I know it's wrong to kill, maim, and ass-[*****] for military advantage. Which, for reasons that I don't understand, puts me in a minority here. How sick is that?

--
"Go fuck yourself!"
-- VP Dick "I gots other priorities, bitches" Cheney on the floor of the United States Senate
And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are.
-- Plato

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home